Your cart is currently empty!
How to control bad breath on your dog
Dental diseases are a major reason dogs get bad breath, so start brushing your pets teeth daily, if you have not. Brushing your dogs teeth will go a long way in reducing the plaque and tartar that may be contributing to the bad breath.
If your dogs bad breath is caused by the accumulation of plaque and tartar, or if this buildup has developed into periodontal disease, your veterinarian may want to set up a deep dental cleaning. Even a daily brushing cannot prevent all the plaque and tartar from building up, meaning that for fully cleaned teeth, your pup will need regular professional dental cleanings from the vet. While it may be one of the priciest options on this list, a professional cleaning will make sure that your dog gets a better clean using specialized equipment that smooths out your dogs teeth surfaces, removes the plaque and tartar, and polishes the teeth.
You can get your dog used to having their teeth cleaned by dip-dosing their lips in the pets toothpaste, then massaging their lips, once or twice per day, for several weeks, and then moving to teeth and gums. Enzymatically coated dental treats can help to eliminate the tartar on the dogs teeth, keeping his breath smell fantastically fresh. Dogs like treats, and dental treats are a really great way to maintain a dogs dental health and to combat bad breath.
Specially designed dental food and treats for dogs slow down tartar formation and prevent the progression of dental diseases and bad breath. Many dog toothpastes are enzyme-based, meaning that they have properties (enzymes) that help to decrease bacteria, limit the build-up of tartar, and improve bad breath. Some diets contain specific enzymes that breakdown plaque and tartar when your dog is chewing, leading to cleaner teeth and fresher breath.
Perhaps the best way to keep your dogs mouth healthy and to keep his bad breath at bay is by brushing his teeth, because this is an excellent way to keep tartar and plaque from building up. With proper dental cleaning and dental hygiene procedures, not only will you be able to decrease bad breath in dogs, you will be able to prevent the accumulation of plaque and decay, which is usually the primary cause of halitosis.
Regular trips to your veterinarian to evaluate your pets oral health are incredibly important. Here are a few situations in which you absolutely need to get your dog checked out by a vet ASAP.
There are a few things that you can do every day that will not only help be proactive in terms of preventative care, but just make sure that your puppy does not get the dog breathe. When it comes to preventing internal organ failure or diseases that impact your dogs liver or kidneys, there are a couple of simple steps you can take as well that will help your pup avoid those causes of bad breath. While you cannot cure kidney or liver disease at home, one of the ways you can help treat or prevent bad breath in your dog is by making sure your pup receives the regular oral hygiene treatment he needs each day, as well as an annual professional dental cleaning.
If dental problems are not a reason for your dogs bad breath, an annual exam may help your vet catch the root cause of your dogs bad breath before it gets severe. To keep your pets breathing in check as best as possible, schedule annual dental exams with your pets veterinarian.
Along with these daily habits, make sure you are visiting your veterinarian at least once per year to make sure that your dog is in an optimal weight range, as well as check for other health problems that may present themselves as bad breath, like diabetes. Your dogs vet is also actually their dentist, so regularly seeing your veterinarian is important for keeping his teeth and mouth healthy, which is critical for keeping bad breath away, says Dr. Bernal.
The home remedies above certainly will help to curb bad dogs breath, but they are only part of keeping your pets mouth healthy. Supplementing your pups normal diet with a probiotic formulated especially for dogs may help balance out the healthy bacteria in his or her mouth and help his or her breath stay smelling fresh.
You can find probiotic supplements that are designed for canine health, including our dental sticks, Bye, Bye Dog Breath, and our dental powder, Bye, Bye Dog Breath, or switch to a dog food that includes these. Either as an alternative to brushing, or if you cannot train your pup to tolerate brushing, instead, there are also many varieties of dental chews and dog foods designed to support dental health.
There are even drops, including Natural Breath Drops for Pets, which contain Chlorophyll and Peppermint Essential Oil, which you can either feed your dog directly, place on treats, or put in the water bowl. Dogs can even drink their way to fresh-smelling breath with Healthy Mouth Dental Water, a all-natural cocktail made with enzymes, chlorophyll and other ingredients designed to blast away bad dog breath. OraVet dental hygiene chews for dogs, for instance, are formulated with DLmopinol, which helps create a barrier against bacteria that causes bad breath, and the grain-free dental treats from WHIMZEES Variety Pack have a powdered cellulose to help clean the teeth of your pup.
While owners may be brushing their dogs teeth using a toothpaste made especially for dogs, sometimes we can forget to. Putting may be a risk with older dogs, so it is best to brush the teeth of your dogs regularly to help prevent any serious problems. You should brush your dogs teeth daily, spending the time when they are younger to help them become used to the experience of teeth cleaning.
If your dog is susceptible to periodontal disease, regular cleanings may be necessary to prevent excess tartar buildup and frequent dental extractions (having teeth removed). Maintaining a regular home-based brushing regimen, as well as seeing a professional twice-yearly for deep cleaning, is the best way to keep your pets mouth feeling fresh, clean, and free from harmful bacteria. Plaque and tartar build on your pets teeth every time he or she eats, and eventually, bacteria from the tartar start damaging your dogs gums and teeth – it also causes malodorous breath.
- The product needs to be sprinkled onto one meal daily
- Value for money lasts between 2-6 months
- Easy to use sprinkle onto food daily
- You will start to notice the effects of the product over 3-8 weeks
- Targets plaque bacteria and helps change the texture of the tartar and makes scraping easier
2. Plaque X 100% Natural Plaque Off & Tartar Remover For Dogs & Cats | Breath Freshener For Dogs, Cats & Pets | 180g | No Toothbrush & Supports Gum & Teeth Health
- FIGHT PLAQUE & TARTAR – Our 100% natural formulation has been proven to be effective for both Dogs & Cats
- ELIMINATE BAD BREATH – Our blend of parsley & carbon in conjunction with our seaweed & turmeric eliminates bad breath with continued use
- ADDED TURMERIC & ACTIVATED CHARCOAL – Turmeric has been proven to provide a host of benefits for your pets!
- PACKED FULL OF NATURAL VITAMINS – EXTRA LARGE 180G – RECOMMENDED BY UK VETS – MOst effective at removing plaque & tartar, combat bad breath, aid gas & digestion and help support your pets health
3. TropiClean Fresh Breath Dog Teeth Cleaning – Dog Dental Care for Bad Breath – Breath Freshener – Water Additive Mouthwash – Helps Remove Plaque Off Dogs Teeth, Original, 473ml
- DEFENDS AGAINST PLAQUE & TARTAR – Formulated with a unique blend of ingredients for clean teeth and a healthy mouth
- FRESHENS BREATH – Goodbye dog breath, hello fresh breath! See fresher breath in 14 days or less with daily use as directed. Results may vary
- TASTELESS – Contains no added flavours, making it easy to incorporate into your dog’s daily routine
- PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS – TropiClean Fresh Breath Dental Health Solution for Dogs is accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council Seal of Acceptance (VOHC) for plaque control and National Animal Supplement Council Quality Seal (NASC) for adhering to the highest quality standards.
- MORE THAN JUST CLEAN TEETH – Establishing a daily oral care routine helps protect pets against the harmful side effects of periodontal disease, which can impact the liver, heart, and kidneys
4. Pro Pooch Dog Breath Freshener – Combat Bad Breath, Tartar & Plaque Build Up w/Dog Mouthwash – Fresh Breath & Safe Oral Hygiene for Your Pooch or Cat
- BANISH BAD BREATH: This dog breath spray is a great alternative to toothpaste. Easily freshening Fido’s breath without a toothbrush wrestling match. Our safe & smart compound tackles bad breath at an enzymatic level – treating the cause, not the symptom. Apply directly to gums or just add to the water bowl.
- PROFESSIONAL: Pro Pooch products are trusted by groomers and dog owners worldwide. We have extensively consulted with specialists to provide a unique dental formula that activates, releases & destroys nuisance germs. The result? Fresh breath for dogs.
- PEACE OF MIND: We love our dogs & we want them to be healthy. Our special foam-action solution contains no parabens, alcohol, SLS/SLES or fluoride & comes with a cruelty-free animal policy – our breath freshener for dogs is never tested on animals. While our dental care formula is designed mainly with dogs in mind it’s a perfectly safe cat mouthwash, too.
- EFFECTIVE: This bad breath treatment for dogs will help you avoid daily brushing & costly teeth cleaning bills. Our special formula is specifically designed to target plaque & tartar build-up in hard-to-reach places. Gentle on your dog & your wallet!
- GIFT: Despite them being man’s best friend, sometimes a pooch needs an oral makeover for dog fresh breath! For your pup or as a purchase for a friend’s canine companion, this could make a thoughtful ‘just because’ gift. Plus, dogs love the taste!
5. TropiClean Fresh Breath Dog Teeth Cleaning Gel – No Brushing Dental Care – Breath Freshener Oral Care – Complete Dog Teeth Cleaning Solution – Helps Remove Plaque & Tartar, Original, 118ml
- REMOVES PLAQUE AND TARTAR – TropiClean Fresh Breath Clean Teeth Oral Care Gel is an easy way to help remove plaque and tartar buildup from your dog’s teeth. When used daily as directed, you can see cleaner teeth in 30 days or less!
- UNIQUE BLEND – Our Clean Teeth Oral Care Gel is formulated with a unique blend of ingredients that work together to help remove plaque & tartar safely and effectively!
- FRESH BREATH – Helps freshen your pet’s breath for friendlier smooches!
- HOW TO USE – Simply apply two drops of TropiClean Fresh Breath Clean Teeth Oral Care Gel to each side of your dog’s mouth daily to help remove plaque & tartar. No brushing required!
- HEALTHY DOGS – Oral care is about more than making your pets’ smiles sparkle – it’s an important component of their overall health. In fact, 80% of dogs begin to show signs of oral disease by age 3
- REDUCES PLAQUE & TARTAR – Vet’s Best Breath Freshener can be used daily as an effective and simple way to fight plaque and tartar in between Vet visits
- FRESHENS BREATH – Specially formulated with Peppermint Oil to help tackle sources of bad breath
- NO BRUSHING REQUIRED – Simply add the recommended amount(5ml) to your dog or puppies water bowl
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS – Natural ingredients like Peppermint, Clove Leaf Oil, and Geranium Oil help reduce plaque and tartar
- TOTAL CARE Use this product be used in conjunction with Vet’s Best Dental toothpaste gel for an overall oral care solution
- Freshens breath
- Long-term action
- Contains chlorophyll, a natural plant extract well known for its ability to absorb bad smells
- Suitable for cats and dogs
- Each box contains 40 tablets
8. ProDen PlaqueOff Dental Bones Vegetable Fusion (13 Pack – 485 g) for Dogs, Bad Breath, Plaque, Tartar
- The only chew on the market with the proven and active ingredient ProDen PlaqueOff
- To help improve bad breath, plaque and tartar
- Free from additives, artificial preservative, gluten, grain and sugar
- 2-in-1 Action: Works internally and externally to fight oral hygiene problems
- Can be broken in half for smaller dogs
9. Plaque Banish 100% Natural Plaque Off 180g for Dogs | Tartar Remover | Freshen Breath for Dogs & Cats | Prevent Gum Disease & Promote Dental Health
- ✅Fights Plaque and Tartar – Effective for both dogs & cats
- ✅Targets Bad Breath – Plaque bacteria is a leading cause of bad breath
- ✅Easy to Apply – Simply sprinkle the suggested dose on your pet’s food once a day
- ✅An Excellent Source of Vitamins and Minerals – Helps support healthy skin and fur
- ✅100% Natural – No agents added. Plaque Banish is totally natural!
10. The Dog Doctors Fresh Breath Dental Foam – Helps Tackle Bad Breath, Reduces Plaque & Tartar Build Up, Easy Daily Dental Solution For All Breeds & Sizes!
- ✅ No more bad breath! – Daily use will reduce dental decay and stop bacteria build up. Our research led ingredients support teeth & gum health by removing and preventing plaque and tartar build up and freshens your dog’s breath.
- ✅ Easy Application Hassle Free – No More Struggling With A Toothbrush To Clean Your Pets Teeth With Our Simple easy to apply breath freshening foam that targets hard to reach areas
- ✅ Reduces inflammation of gums and inhibits plaque build-up. Removes stains and prevents gum disease. Supports healthier gut and absorption of micronutrients, preventing gastrointestinal infection leading to bad dental hygiene.
- ✅ Trusted UK Brand – Our Fresh Breath Dental Foam, created and recommended by veterinarians, Always 100% natural, cruelty- free and additive – free. Keep your dog’s teeth clean and healthy, reduce the chance of gum disease and save on vet bills. 100% satisfaction guarantee.
#dog toothpastes #dental hygiene #dental cleanings #dental treats #dental health #dogs vet #dental diseases #dental water #dental food #dog foods #oral hygiene #dental extractions #canine health #hygiene treatment #dental problems